Because I have been too lazy to type this all up.
- If your quartz has teeny air bubbles it’s glass.
- If it’s got a fruit name it’s dyed. End of story. (strawberry, cherry, lemon, pineapple, blueberry) yes there may be some very rare exceptions-fire quartz being dubbed strawberry- but due to the rise in fakes with that name it’s generally called fire quartz now.
- Aura quartz is a regular quartz that’s been bonded with another material. (man made)
- Cinnabar Infused Quartz usually reconstituted and mixed together to make a red crystal.
- Green quartz can be grown in a lab and anything that forrest green color is
- Magnesite and howlite look very very similar to turquoise when they’ve been dyed, magnesite will have very deep cracks in it though.
- No there is no white turquoise.
- You can do a uv test to see if it’s real
- Often faked with Copal. They look nearly identical.
- Amber will float in salt water-copal will not.
- Very vibrant colors!!
Irradiated: (they irradiate the crystals to get a deeper or more vibrant color)
- deeply pigmented topaz or kunzite
- dark (almost black) smokey quartz
- very deep pink or red tourmaline
- colored diamonds
- some cultured pearls
- vibrant yellow heliodor
- other stones may be dyed as well, generally if it looks fake..it is.
Heat treated stones: (really not a bad thing but if you’re going for natural)
- Amethyst-lighten color+remove brown
- Citrine-heat treated amethyst.
- Aquamarine-remove green
- Ruby-clearer stone
- Sapphire-clearer stone
- Nope, completely fake 100%
- Literally just car paint layered with calcite and resin.
Citrine: (im so sorry)
- Much of the citrine on the market is lab made.
- If it’s lab made it’s usually amethyst that’s been heated until it changes color
- The bottom of these stones will be white with more color at the tips.
- High quality is vibrant blue, hard to come by, and very expensive.
- Low quality howlite, jasper or sodalite is dyed blue, and passed off as lapis.
- Acetone will remove the dye but damage the stone.
- The clear green obsidian you see all over ebay is slag glass.
- Natural green obsidian has been found but it is opaque and is more gray than green.
- there is red obsidian as well but again, it’s not a vibrant red and is more brick colored.
- Wikipedia is not always right.
- it’s glass it’s legitimately just glass
- also glass.
- real opalite exists but it’s green and not commonly found
- once again, don’t believe everything on wikipedia.
- Doesn’t naturally form in the crystals, lab made!!!
- rlly pretty though
- Not naturally magnetic!
- Magnetic hematite is 100% man made!
I’ll add more as I come across them~
- Real jade is p. heavy! A way to tell if it is real is that it’ll be heavier than it looks.
- Jade is faked with the following:
- Serpentine “New Jade” or “Olive Jade”
- Aventurine quartz
- Grossular garnet “Transvaal jade”
- Chrysoprase “Australian jade”
- Malaysia Jade- dyed quartz that may be called by its color – Red Jade, Yellow Jade, Blue Jade
- Opaque dolomite marble “Mountain Jade” (usually dyed)
Dragon vein agate:
- Quench cracked, bleached, and dyed agate and some is quench cracked, and dyed glass.
- Being faked with a very low grade cheap dalmatian jasper.!
- Snowflake will be gray while Dalmatian should have a lighter color
- A lot of pieces have been proven to have been faked through sand blasting + similar techniques (but there may be real ones I’m not 100%)
- Chinese Charoite doesn’t exist.
- If it’s called that then it’s not real, real charoite isn’t banded and is more swirly.
- Very very commonly faked!!
- Biggest giveaway is the ‘wet’ look a faked piece has due to the molding process
- White moldavite doesn’t exist!!
- It’s really just yellow Labradorite, which isn’t a v rare gem
- no such thing
- massive scam
- literally chunks of slag glass, worth like, .1% of what they are sold for
galaxxyphan: galaxxyphan: hysteriahowell: neudeify: haihl: ariya-art: openyourthird-eye: fandomgirl-the-modblog: crotchkat-vantass: juststrokemyglabella: 2spookysamy: highonvodka: themixedbagofspooky: spoopy-len-in-a-dress: riningear: doryishness: displaced-angel: ryedragon: inritum: reblog and make a wish! this was removed from tumbrl due to “violating one or more of Tumblr’s Community Guidelines”, but … Continue reading